Where to buy: Trader Joe's
Why we approve: 26g protein, coconut milk is a healthy fat, delicious, only 240 calories per package
Preparation: Cut open the pouch, pour into a bowl, and microwave OR do the "boil in bag" thing with the pouch. Alternately, eat it at room temperature (my favorite temperature)
Variations: Stir in an addition can of tuna (drained, please) when you need more protein. Add in chopped summer squash or zucchini for a one dish meal. Garnish with coconut milk or coconut cream when you're looking to add some extra healthy fats. Need carbs, looks like the box suggests some rice, but I'll take some tropical fruit after lunch. Mango, anyone?
Like the Green Curry version, this packaged meal from Trader Joe's can be found in their boxed meal isle, close to tapenades, olives and some sauces. This is the red curry version, with plenty of coconut milk flavor, a little heat, and a nice dose of ginger. It's got enough tuna to make me happy, too.
For some strange reason, the red is supposed to be spicier than the green, but we don't find that to be the case. The type of hot is different, but the green actually burns more. However, neither is particularly spicy by my standards, and I can eat either one and train immediately. That's not hot in my book!
I love this red curry, and keep boxes in my cupboard at all times, going through at least 2-3 per week! Love it!
- Only 240 calories
- 26g protein
- coconut milk = tasty
- good eaten at room temperature
- you can put it on the dashboard and heated up in the sun on a hot day
- spicy, but not too spicy
- the mere presence of mung bean may make the paleos avoid this, which is a shame. What's a little legume between friends?
- tearing open the packet can get a little messy, so careful not to splash red on your lily white shirt
- a little hot. Not to me, but your mileage may vary