Monday, September 5, 2011

Dinty Moore Beef Stew – Slim pickings at Walmart

Over on the JP Fitness Forum, the challenge of Walmart was thrown down, and I accepted.

I'm going to take off from our normal format, today, as I'm not wholly recommending this dish, nor am I dismissing it. It's there if you need it.

Walmart

I'll admit that it was a lot harder than I thought to find something quick and easy there on the shelves. I didn't expect gourmet or extremely high quality ingredients, but I thought there might be one or two things to take home and try. Not so easy... I spent about an hour looking at boxes and cans, just to find one or two items that were halfway decent.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew




I remember this stuff from my childhood. In fact, I picked it up for that very reason, only to find that it's not all that bad.


I'm not saying it's perfect, but you could do worse than those ingredients.


It's nostalgic and not bad in a pinch. It's self contained in a plastic, microwaveable dish, too.

I ate it for lunch, and I enjoyed the flashback. I think it was under $2.00, too.

You can also find things like jerky and nuts, but beware the jerky and nuts, too. Some of the jerky is laden with msg, while many of the nuts are coated and cooked with bad things. See the pic, below.

unfortunate nut ingredients
I would like to point out that some Walmarts sell raw ingredients, so meat, dairy, eggs, fruit, and veggies are available. This blog, however, isn't about shopping for staples at Walmart; it's about finding a quick and easy meal that you can take home, warm up, adding minimal extras, and eat. It's hard to do that at Walmart, unless you want microwave stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment